Saturday, March 22, 2014

Qualifications of a Web Designer (...or what do I need to know to getthat job?)

Courtesy of
In my journey to figure out how to nab that web designer job, I'm realizing there are certain skills that are required. Not only am I trying to learn how to design my own web pages, but I'm on the look out for any "entry-level" position I can grab in the process. Unfortunately, most of these types of positions require some type of experience in the field. A company definitely doesn't want to have to teach you how to code.

Here is a list of a few of the requirements I have come across as I'm searching for Web Designer/Developer positions:

- Sublime Text, CSS, HTML, Angular. JS, JavaScript
- Take complex requirements and create static mockup for static workflow
- A Portfolio of your work

It's this last qualification, a portfolio, that is the key to getting that job. A friend of mine who is in the industry advised me to be able to show my work and explain it in easy terms during the interview. An employer wants to know that you know what you're talking about.

In addition, many employers require at least a technology-related Bachelor's degree and/or experience in the field. The amount of experience varies from 2 to 5 years based on the employer. Ok, this sounds like a daunting task. But, I believe the portfolio qualification is probably the best hope of landing a job.

Your portfolio will show your work. Be ready to explain it and to shine when you're interviewed. All the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment